Hosting International Visitors on Campus

VCU is required by federal regulations to monitor assignments to its facilities of foreign persons to ensure that the disclosure of, and access to, export controlled articles and related information are limited to those approved by an export authorization. All international employees and visitors must be processed through the Global Education Office (GEO).

From the GEO website, complete the relevant forms pertaining to your international visitor or employee. The Global Education office will take the appropriate forms and forward the export review form to the Office of Research and Innovation. An export control review will be performed on all foreign persons regardless of employee or visitor status.

Please review the “Do Export Control Regulations Apply to Me?” page on this website for information on “Deemed Exports,” which is a high risk area for the University.

Additional Information and Forms

VCU International Employee/Visitor and Visiting Scholar Pre-screening Form
If you plan to hire an employee who is not a citizen of the U.S. (needs an H-1B or J Visa) or if you plan to invite an international visitor, or if you plan to have another researcher conduct research in your lab (Visiting Scholar) you must complete this form and submit it to the Global Education Office. This form will give Global Ed and the Export Compliance Office the necessary information to efficiently conduct a review and apply for any necessary approvals from the U.S. Government.

The Visiting Nonemployee Scholar Agreement
The VSA is designed to establish a legal relationship with an individual that otherwise would not have on with the University. The agreement informs the visiting scholar of their responsibilities while at VCU and requires they be bound by VCU Policies. This agreement should be completed and signed by any Visiting Scholar (individual working in a lab at VCU that is from another institution and is not being paid by VCU).