HIPAA and Research Guidance
HIPAA’s Impact on Research
The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes conditions under which covered entities, including the VCU Affiliated Covered Entity can provide researchers access to and use of Protected Health Information (PHI). The Rule is not intended to impede research. However, it does provide for specific ways that PHI can be accessed and used by researches as well as defines how individuals have control over their health information when they are research participants.
HIPAA Forms and Templates
See the IRB Forms page.
Guidance for Researchers
- Understanding HIPAA and Research at VCU (pathways to access & use PHI)
- Decision Tree 1: Determining When HIPAA Applies to Research
- Decision Tree 2: Determining Pathway to Use PHI for Research
- Decision Tree 3: Review of PHI for Recruitment
- NIH Researcher Booklet – Protecting Personal Health Information in Research: Understanding the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Office of Civil Rights: Health Information Privacy Information and Resources