VCU expects that all individuals involved in the use of controlled substances for research will comply with all state and federal regulations regarding the procurement, recordkeeping, inventory, storage, use and disposal of those substances.
Principal investigators using controlled substances in research must obtain a Virginia Board of Pharmacy Controlled Substances Registration and a DEA Registration prior to ordering or using controlled substances.
All individuals involved in the use of controlled substances must complete training prior to handling any controlled substance. Individuals can self-enroll on the Blackboard training site here.
- Log in to Blackboard using your VCU eID and password
- Click on the Courses link on the top of the page
- Under Course Search, type controlled substances and click Go
- Place the cursor over the appropriate course, then click on the down arrow and select Enroll.
- After completing the training course, print the page reflecting your score or the course completion certificate.
- Authorized users must provide registrants with the page reflecting their score or their course completion certificate, so that it can be kept with the authorized user’s personnel screening forms.
Closing out registrations
Registrants wishing to terminate their active registration(s) must inform the DEA and the Virginia Board of Pharmacy of their intent to terminate. Contact email@example.com for the form that must be submitted to the DEA and the Virginia Board of Pharmacy when closing out a registration.
Disposal of controlled substances
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI), through firstname.lastname@example.org, provides contact information for reverse distributors who are licensed by the DEA and who have contracts with VCU. With prior approval from email@example.com, OVPRI will pay invoices associated with the costs of reverse distribution and disposal of unwanted or expired controlled substances.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Current state and DEA registration numbers and expiration dates
- List of controlled substances and amounts in need of disposal
- If requesting assistance with invoice payment, indicate this in your email
- If invoice payment by OVPRI has been requested, wait for the approval email from email@example.com before contacting the reverse distributor/vendor.
- Follow reverse distributor's instructions carefully and do not send any controlled substances until you are authorized to do so by the vendor (typically, you will need prior approval from the vendor).
- Upon receipt of the controlled substances, the reverse distributor will send you a report listing the substances they have accepted into their inventory and their DEA registration number. You should keep a copy of this report for your records.
- Upon receipt of the vendor’s invoice forward this invoice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about Return Logistics International Service Center (RLI), a VCU contract vendor.
Address: 22 Artley Road
Savannah, GA 31408
Voice: (912) 748-5100
Fax: (912) 748-5102
Advance ship notice
Customers are required to fax, email or mail a completed ASN package to the return center. The ASN is provided by RLI after the customer contacts RLI with a request to ship. After RLI receives the completed package, RLI will issue the customer a return order number.
Note: Never ship any controlled substances to Return Logistics International (RLI) until you have been given a return order number. Make sure this number is on the shipping label.
If approved by email@example.com you may use the following billing information:
Company name: Virginia Commonwealth University
Contact name: Cathleen Finnerty
Contact title: Business manager
Contact phone: 804-828-3536, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 800 East Leigh Street, Suite 300, Box 980568
City: Richmond, State: VA, Zip: 23298-0568
- Use of controlled substances in research manual
- Procedure for obtaining buprenorphine SR and SR lab
- Isoflurane information sheet
To request a copy of a sample completed application or form, please email email@example.com.