VCU is pleased to support a number of core laboratories that facilitate a wide variety of research in the biomedical, life, physical and social sciences.
Some of these core laboratories are institutional, while others are associated with specific schools, programs or departments. However, all are available to VCU researchers, typically on a fee-for-service basis. Access to core laboratories is also possible, on a more limited basis, for outside academic and commercial users.
An important note to core laboratory users
Many of the core laboratories at VCU are supported, in part, by program grants from sponsoring institutes at the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation. It is, therefore, essential that core laboratory usage be appropriately cited in publications. This simple courtesy will help ensure ongoing support and continuity of such services to the VCU community. The appropriate citation for each core lab is indicated as a superscript after the link. PLEASE make every effort to include the suggested citation language, which may be found at the bottom of this page.
Click here for language describing core labs that is suitable for direct inclusion in grant applications. You may also click on the "grant language" link associated with each core. Researchers are encouraged to contact individual core directors prior to inclusion of VCU cores on a grant application, especially if a large volume of work is contemplated. In some cases it may be appropriate to consider a component of salary support. Again, please seek guidance by contacting individual core directors.
VCU institutional core laboratories
- Cancer Mouse Models Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- Center for High Performance Computing (grant language)
- Flow Cytometry Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- VCU Genomics Core Laboratory
- Lipidomics and Metabolomics Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- Microscopy Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- Mid-Atlantic Twin Registry (grant language)
- Nanomaterials Characterization Core LaboratoryNMC (grant language)
- Structural Biology Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- Tissue and Data Acquisition and Analysis CoreMCC (grant language)
- Transgenic/Knockout Mouse Core LaboratoryMCC (grant language)
- VCU Supply Centers
- School of Nursing Behavioral Research Laboratory
- School of Pharmacy Bioanalytical laboratory shared resource
- Cancer Informatics CoreMCC
- Clinical Research UnitCTSA
- Collaborative Advanced Research Imaging
- Cytogenetics Diagnostic Laboratory
- Clinical Pathology Research Services
- Center for Molecular Imaging
- Survey and Evaluation Research Laboratory
- Molecular Pathology NGS Services
- Wright Center Biomedical Informatics Core
Accessing research resources at other Virginia research institutions and the Hunter McGuire VA Medical Center
VCU has entered into a reciprocal resource-sharing agreement with several other Virginia research universities and the Hunter McGuire VA Medical Center.
MCC: Please cite usage by including the following language, “(service provided) was performed at the VCU (fill in laboratory) core laboratory, which is supported, in part, by funding from the NIH-NCI Cancer Center Support Grant (P30 CA016059).”
NMC: Please cite usage by including the following language, “Nanomaterials characterization was performed at the VCU Nanomaterials Characterization Core Laboratory, which is supported, in part, with funding from the NSF.”
CTSA: Please cite CRS usage by indicating, "Core laboratory services were provided by the VCU Clinical Research Services Core Laboratory, which is supported, in part, with funding from the NIH-NCATS (UL1TR002469)."